Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Business of Tearing Down

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment"  Matthew 12:36  There is a poem that has always been a favorite of mine called "Wreckers"  by Dan Clark.  It reads:
"I watched them tearing a building down
A gang of men in a busy town
With a hove-heave-ho and a lusty yell
They swung a beam and the side-wall fell
I asked the foreman are these men skilled

The kind you'd hire if you had to build
He gave a laugh and said no indeed
Just common labor is all I need
I can easily wreck in a day or two
What has taken a builder years to do

I thought to myself as I went my way
Which one of these roles have I tried to play
Am I a builder who works with care
Measuring life by the rule and square

Shaping my life to a well made plan
Patiently doing the best I can
Or am I a wrecker who walks the town
Content with the business of tearing down"

As I have consciously asked myself this same question it has given plenty of time to ponder about the people in my life.  Who are the wreckers and who are the builders?  Our lives are filled with myriads of people we have met and known and loved through out the course of life.  Stop and think about the people in your life, are they wreckers or builders?  I hope that when somebody is asking themselves about me that it may be said that I was a builder.  This world is full of wreckers who fit the profile of "common labor" who only need a name and they can tear it down.  May we all be builders by following the example of the "builder" of the universe the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment